Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Missing my Kids

This past weekend I was given a great gift.  The gift of missing my kids!

B has had a lot of travel in the six weeks of 2016.  While we knew the year was going to start off with us being ships passing in the night, it still feels like a shock to the system when you realize we haven't really had large amounts of family time.  It really wears on a person...or family unit.  Another thing that was nagging at me was the reality that I don't get to miss my kids.  I shared that with B and, thankfully, we already had a weekend on the calendar to swap places.  He was going to be the solo parent for the weekend and I was going to get the chance to miss my kids.

The weekend began with waking the boys up at 5:45 to head to the airport, followed by an e-mail buzzing to my phone alerting me that my flight was canceled just three people before I made it through security.  I found my way to a long line and waited to see what would happen.  Things went from me having a four hour layover in NYC and getting to DC at 7pm to being able to fly to a different airport near DC by noon and getting a taxi to my brother's house.  I opted for that route and was cuddling a sweet baby by 1pm on Friday!


The weekend was spent holding the most alert smiley baby, eating yummy food, and having good conversations.  


My mom drove up for the night so that was a bonus!


I had Sunday lunch with sweet friends, and we crammed life catch up and homeschool thoughts in about two hours.



And for once, I got to be the one on the other side of the google hangout!  The boys had a fun time with their dad, and survived the super cold weekend together.  My plane landed back home around 9pm on Sunday and I was picked up by three boys who all agreed they missed me.  After putting the boys to bed I found a vase of flowers waiting for me on the counter along with a three layer Italian cream cake made by my three valentines.

We ate the first piece by ourselves, and thankfully still have kids young enough to not realize that the cake had been cut into when we took it back out for dessert the next day.  Koi's introduction of, "You're going to be so surpriiiised!" wasn't thrown off by the fact that the cake was now cut into shapes that would fit into a container for better storage.

We eased back into Monday as a family, and are back into our normal groove refreshed and ready to take on these last 8ish weeks as a family of four. 





No comments:

Post a Comment